Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Decameron (Part Two)

Some of the later conversations struck me as similar to ones me might have in modern times towards the End of the first story. Take "I don't know what's keeping me from coming down there and beating the shit out of you, you dumb ass, you drunken sot-you're not going to let any body get any sleep tonight, are you?" on page 108

Reminds me of New York city displayed throughout comedies, where the main character will scream and some guy will stick his head out the window and say, "Shut up!" Guess medieval people hated that kind of thing as much as we do now.

I guess this plays into the comedy of it all, which was extremely prevalent throughout the first story. Kind of like a Jackie Chan movie, poor Andreuccio running around, saying "Very Bad Day!." in broken English. Oh these stories keep getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment